Fiat, Daihatsu, Suzuki, Nissan. Search for a car in the UK and filter for engine capacities less than 1L and the results show an abundance of these makes. With just under 6 months until the launch of the 2014 Mongol Rally, here I am in the UK, ever watchful for the ‘perfect’ car for the journey to Mongolia.
What constitutes a perfect car for this journey? Certainly not one with an engine less than 1L!
But faced with this limitation, here are some of the properties I’m looking for and some of the contenders on my shortlist! If you have any suggestions, please make them in the comments below!
- It needs to fit 3 people… and that’s about it…
Here are some of the vehicles which meet this and are in my price range are:
- Fiat 500
- Fiat 600 (Seicento)
- Suzuki Super Carry/Bedford Rascall/Vauxhall Rascal (Micro van)
- Daihatsu Hijet – with a rear seat (Micro van)
- Daihatsu Move
- Pajero Mini (660cc Pajero import from Japan – who knew these existed!?)
- Nissan Micra (Known to be one of the most reliable cars to consistently complete the rally)
- Suzuki Alto
- Daewoo Matiz (No… .just no…)
- Volkswagen Polo
In terms of a price target, it seems that £500.00 is the benchmark. Any less and the money ‘saved’ can be redirected into spares… Any more and I’ll have to reshuffle the finances to accommodate! More on this in the coming weeks!